A ten-month-old baby boy has died after choking on a piece of food at a nursery in Edinburgh, police have confirmed.
The tragedy happened at the Bright Horizons Nursery in the city’s Corstorphine area on Wednesday.
The child was rushed to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, but medics were unable to save him.
The incident is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious, and the nursery has since been closed while investigations are being carried out.
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Police in Edinburgh were contacted after a 10-month-old boy took unwell within a private nursery in the Corstorphine area of the city on Tuesday 9th July.
“The child was taken to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children where he sadly passed away on Wednesday 10th July.
“The death is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious, and a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.”
The nursery was closed yesterday, and remains closed today, the Edinburgh Reporter states.
A nursery spokesman told the publication: “A child became seriously unwell at the nursery yesterday. As a matter of course the police attended along with other emergency services.
“This is very upsetting and our thoughts are focused on the child and the family at this difficult time.”