Fourth Dominican Republic tourist dies after 'drinking one whisky from minibar' - USA DAILY NEWS

Fourth Dominican Republic tourist dies after ‘drinking one whisky from minibar’

news image

A tourist to the Dominican Republic suddenly became ill and died after having a drink from the hotel minibar, it has been revealed

Robert Bell Wallace died in April but his family are yet to find any answers about his sudden death.

And the next month three more tourists died.

The 67-year-old became sick and urinated blood after he had one whisky at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana.

Three other US tourists to the Caribbean country were found dead in their rooms in another hotel on the island.

Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41,from Pennsylvania, died on May 25 after she had a drink from her minibar at the Bahia Principe La Romana.



The family of Robert Bell Wallace are still searching for answers

Five days later an engaged couple from Maryland, Edward Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Day, 49, were also found dead in their room.

Dominican authorities said post-mortem examinations revealed they all died of natural causes.

But the families are searching for answers.

Mr Wallace passed away while visiting the country for his step-son’s wedding.

His heartbroken niece, Chloe Arnold, told Fox News : “He was fine.

“He and his wife arrived there at around midnight on April 10. On April 11 he had scotch from the minibar.

“He started feeling very sick, he had blood in his urine and stool right afterwards.”

She said a hotel doctor had checked Mr Wallace, then decided on April 13 he needed to be hospitalised. He died on April 14.

Dominican authorities have yet to give the family a cause of death, Ms Arnold said.

“We have so many questions,” she said. “We don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”

The US State Department told Fox News: “We can confirm the death of a US citizen in April 2019 in the Dominican Republic.

“We offer our sincerest condolences to the family for their loss.

“Out of respect for the family during this difficult time, we do not have additional information to provide.”

Another woman who stayed at the Bahia Principe this week claimed that she “vomited blood” after drinking a 7-UP from her minibar.



Awilda Montes, from New York, believes her drink was spiked with bleach

Awilda Montes, from New York, US, believes the 7-Up she drank at the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville resort, in the Dominican Republic, contained bleach.

Awilda initially thought it was an accident, but she now thinks she may have been spiked.

She told CBS News: “I was cautious when I took a gulp of it. I immediately felt it burn me, burn my mouth, burn my tongue. My mouth was on fire.

“When I spit it out in the bathroom sink, it was blood.”

The resort apologised and offered her and her boyfriend a meal and a massage, according to reports.

In a statement on the Grupo Pinero website the company that owns the hotel said: “In regards to the two unfortunate events that took place in the Dominican Republic, and after inaccurate and false information has been spread, Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts would like to express our deep respect to the authorities and the ongoing investigations.

“We reiterate our firm commitment to collaborating completely with the authorities and hope for a prompt resolution of their inquiries and actions and will not be making any further statements that may interfere with them.“The safety and comfort of our guests and staff stand at the core of our company values, and we work daily to ensure it.

“We reiterate that we completely disagree with the dissemination of false information issued publicly which threatens the image and reputation of the company and the integrity and rights of our employees and their families, reserving, where necessary, the right to take the appropriate legal action.”

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *